Man dead after downtown Ottawa construction site incident
Ministry of Labour and Ottawa police investigating workplace incident at Bank and Wellington streets
A 44-year-old construction worker has died after an industrial incident at the Bank of Canada work site in downtown Ottawa on Monday afternoon, police confirmed.
The crew had been demolishing a wall made of cinder blocks in the basement of the building at Bank and Wellington streets.
Construction workers were performing CPR on the man when emergency crews arrived at the site, said Ottawa fire department spokesperson Marc Messier.
"It's obvious that either a piece of the wall or a brick off the wall made contact with the man's head," Messier said.
Paramedics said the man had no vital signs on the way to the Ottawa Hospital. Police said he was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Police are investigating the incident alongside Ontario's Ministry of Labour.
The man's name has not been released at his family's request, police said.
- An earlier version of this story reported the victim as 45 years old, which was the age released by police.Apr 27, 2014 11:12 AM ET