Lowertown fire caused by cigarette, fire marshal says
One man had arm and leg fractures after jumping from two-storey house
A discarded cigarette was the cause of a fire that engulfed a Lowertown house last week, according to the Ontario Fire Marshal.
The fire started at around noon on Friday, Oct. 11 at 154 Beausoleil Dr., on the corner of York Street.
A man in his 60s jumped from the second storey of the house on York Street to escape the flames and was taken to hospital with arm and leg fractures.
A woman in her 40s also suffered first- and second-degree burns to her hands.
The back of the house was engulfed in flames, and damage to the home was estimated at $600,000, according to Ottawa firefighters.
Investigators determined the fire was accidental and due to the careless handling of a cigarette, the Ontario Fire Marshal's office said in a statement Thursday.