Lotus Chinese Food Takeout fined in summer camp food poisoning
27 people at Tian Tian Chinese Summer Camp, 17 others got sick after eating rice
A west Ottawa restaurant has been fined by Ottawa Public Health after rice it served made dozens of people sick and sent six children to hospital from a summer camp.
Paramedics were called to St. Cecilia School the afternoon of July 31 after several children and adults from the Tian Tian Chinese Summer Camp reported feeling ill.
Six children suffering from vomiting, dizziness and diarrhea were taken to hospital with suspected food poisoning. They were all released later that day.
- 6 children hospitalized after falling ill at Ottawa summer camp
- Lotus Chinese Food Takeout inspection report
Ottawa Public Health said in a statement Friday they inspected three restaurants that provided food for the camp that week. Two of those restaurants passed but the third, Lotus Chinese Food Takeout on Fallowfield Road, did not.
After interviewing more than 90 people from the camp, Ottawa Public Health said a total of 44 people felt sick after eating a fried rice dish from Lotus.
Analysis showed the presence of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that releases toxins causing symptoms reported by those who got sick, in the rice and a noodle dishes from Lotus.
“Although this type of bacteria was found in both the rice and the noodle dishes prepared, the bacteria in the rice dish was at a level consistent with levels known to cause food-borne illness,” the statement said.
Inspection records show Lotus was found in compliance with regulations on Aug. 1, but had a “critical” food safety issue on Aug. 19 related to keeping food protected from contamination.
Lotus has been fined for operating a food premise maintained in a manner permitting a health hazard, and operating a food premise maintained adversely affecting sanitary conditions. Together, the offences carry a maximum fine of $600.