Locro, an Argentine stew, for first ¡Fiesta Latina! in Ottawa
Victor Mazzola shares his recipe with Alan Neal for D is for Dinner on CBC Radio's All in Day
¡Fiesta Latina! debuts this weekend as part of the Canadian Film Institute’s Latin American Film Festival and D is for Dinner is featuring Victor Mazzola, one of the restaurateurs catering for the food, wine and culture show.
- LISTEN |Victor Mazzola & locro
Mazzola, who also owns restaurant, El Gusto Mazzola, and catering company, Mazzola Enterprises, joins CBC Radio’s Alan Neal on All in a Day to discuss his recipe for locro, a stew made with classic corn, beans, potato, pork belly and beef.
Recent D is for Dinner recipes
¡Fiesta Latina! runs for the first time this Saturday at Library and Archives Canada with Latin American filmmakers and personalities.
Locro is one of Argentina’s national dishes. Here’s the recipe including all the ingredients and instructions.
- 1 kilogram beef cut in squares.
- 1 kilogram pork belly cut in small pieces.
- 100 grams smoked pancetta.
- 1 kilogram pork bones.
- 3 spicy Italian sausages cut in thick slices.
- 500 grams broken corn.
- 200 grams white beans.
- 200 grams chickpeas.
- 4 chopped onions.
- 1 chopped leek.
- 4 litres water.
- Olive oil to start cooking the onions.
- 3 bay leaves.
- Put the chopped onions and leek in a big pot. Cook for a few minutes until onions are golden.
- Add the pancetta, pork belly, beef cubes and sausage. Cook for a few minutes until the pork belly and pancetta are golden.
- Add the water, the beans, the chickpeas, the corn and the pork bones.
- Add some salt and the bay leaves.
- Cook on low for at least two hours.
- Take out and discard the pork bones.