Check out Bandwidth, airing Saturdays on CBC Radio One, 91.5 FM in Ottawa, after the news at 5 p.m. ET.
Whether you're coming home or staying home this Thanksgiving weekend, there's a bounty of musical offerings to be thankful for in Ottawa this weekend.
Diana + Silkken Laumann + Black Usher @ Mavericks, Saturday night
Meanwhile, a band that is definitely in town and will also get you dancing is Diana from Toronto. This is synth-pop at its finest. Front woman Carmen Elle's parents didn't have a lot of money when she was a kid. They asked her what her one activity would be, and basically she knew that whatever she chose, that's what she'd be stuck with for the rest of her life. Her dad builds guitars so choosing guitar seemed like a good choice, especially since he could teach her to play. That was when she was nine, and the woman in her 20s has been playing seriously since then. She gets a lot of attention for her guitar prowess, but don't disregard the power of her voice. It's pretty special too.
I caught Diana's set at Arboretum Festival this summer and the thing that impressed me the most about Carmen was actually not her superior guitar skills or her lovely voice, it was her unaffected stage presence. She recently told Rookie magazine that she "dances in front of the mirror a lot. There are things you gotta watch out for, like hands. Hands are always bad. What do they do? I see my elbow out there and I am like, 'Uh, get back in here.'" She's had some major anxiety issues to conquer in order to feel comfortable front-and-centre in a touring band. I didn't know it when I saw Diana play this summer, and it was really the fact that Carmen did not look like she was trying too hard that charmed me most. Diana headlines a dance party at Mavericks Saturday night with local gold medal party-trio Silkken Laumann and Black Usher. I was there the night Black Usher first existed, at the Ottawa Rock Lottery. It was a crazy, amazing confluence of talent with rap, rock, and dance-pop all coming together by chance, and it will once again be a party at Mavericks Saturday night.
Saturday, Oct. 12
- Randy Bachman & The Sadies + Sass Jordan (acoustic duo) @ Canadian Tire Centre, Kanata, FREE
- Diana + Silkken Laumann + Black Usher @ Mavericks
- Tariq Anwar + Mitch Silvester +Paull McInnis + The New Standard @ Avante Garde Bar
- Electric Pow Wow @ Babylon
- Mary Gauthier @ The Branch, Kemptville
- Full Tipped Sleeve + Crossing Jane @ Zaphod Beeblebrox
- Fish & Bird + The Mayhemingways @ Irene's
- Jon Adessky & The Third Degree @ The Rainbow
- Honeyman and The Brothers Farr + Caroline Keating @ The Blacksheep Inn, Wakefield
- Sarah Burton @ Kaffe 1870, Wakefield
Sunday, Oct. 13
- The Ohm CD Release @ The Blacksheep Inn, Wakefield
- Belle Starr + Jordie Lane (Aus) @ The Blacksheep Inn, Wakefield
- Jordan Klassen + Megan Bonnell @ Raw Sugar