Kitchen fire at Ottawa residence leaves 9 homeless
Firefighters say nine people have been displaced from their homes after a two-alarm blaze at a bungalow near Meadowlands Drive and Fisher Avenue.
Emergency crews were called to 68 Wigan Drive at 1:31 p.m. after a kitchen fire was reported and heavy flames were seen coming from the building. Firefighters said the building was fully involved by 1:38 p.m. and a second alarm was called.
The fire was under control by about 3 p.m.
Three people in the building had fled after the fire started, and one was treated for smoke inhalation. The Red Cross were en route to the fire to offer assistance.
Firefighters said the cause of the fire was a pot of cooking oil that had been left unattended and burst into flames. Damages are estimated at $350,000 for the building and $100,000 for the contents.
Wigan Drive is closed in both directions between Inverness Ave. and Hoggan Street, according to Ottawa police.