Jennifer Bird pleads guilty to manslaughter of Simon Hubbard

More than three years after Ottawa chef Simon Hubbard was stabbed to death in his New Edinburgh home in 2011, a woman pleaded guilty Tuesday to manslaughter.

Crown lawyers seek 14-year sentence minus time served after 'senseless' killing

Sister of Simon Hubbard speaks outside courtroom after her brother's killer pleaded guilty to manslaughter. 2:19

The Crown is seeking a 14-year sentence for a woman who pleaded guilty Tuesday to manslaughter in the stabbing death of Ottawa man Simon Hubbard on New Year's Day 2011.

Jennifer Bird, who was 26 at the time of the incident, was initially charged with one count of second-degree murder.

Jennifer Bird, who was 26 at the time of the incident in January 2011 when this court sketch was created, has pleaded guilty to manslaughter. ((Canadian Press))

Before the incident, Bird had been living downtown at the Shepherds of Good Hope emergency shelter for people with addictions or mental health issues and had three previous convictions for assault with a weapon.

Crown lawyer Paul Attia called Bird a "stabaholic" and said Hubbard's killing was "senseless" and "brutal."

The Crown is seeking a sentence of 14 years, minus time served. Bird has been in custody since she was arrested Jan. 2, 2011.

Hubbard died outside home

Hubbard, 43, was stabbed at his New Edinburgh home and left a trail of blood in his final moments as he stumbled from his basement apartment on Stanley Avenue, where he was attacked, to a two-storey red-brick home next door.

Neighbour Joyce Goodhand spotted Hubbard that afternoon at the base of some stairs and called 911.

Simon Hubbard was stabbed in his Stanley Avenue home in the New Edinburgh neighbourhood of Ottawa on New Year's Day in 2011. ((Chad Pawson/CBC) )
"I peeked out my side window that overlooks the kind of side of the yard, and yeah, there was a young fellow lying there face down," she told CBC News at the time. "He was pretty grey, and I don't know how long he'd been there, but it was pretty apparent that he wasn't going to get up."

Paramedics arrived within minutes, Goodhand said, and pronounced Hubbard dead at the scene. It was the city's first homicide of 2011, and an autopsy concluded that Hubbard died from stab wounds.

Hubbard was an avid musician and had studied electrical engineering at Algonquin College.

About a dozen members of Hubbard's family were in court on Tuesday.