A large business complex in Ottawa’s east end sustained damage in a fire at a chemical recycling company Thursday morning.
Ottawa fire officials said they were called to 1230 Old Innes Road, part of the Innes Business Park, just after 4:30 a.m. ET Thursday.
They said the fire started in the loading bay of ChemChamp, a company that recycles hazardous materials.
"There was a lot of hazardous materials inside, varnishes and paint thinners and stuff like that, so that was a concern right off the bat," said district fire chief Ross Saunders.
"Thank God it didn't extend into the chemicals."
The Ottawa Fire Services’ hazmat team was on standby as a precaution.
Officials said four of the building's units were damaged by flames and smoke, with heavy smoke meaning heat cameras were used to search for the source of the fire.
"We had to chase it around quite a bit," Saunders said.
"There were flames coming up one of the chimneys, we were able to contain it, do some spot checking and knock the extension down and we were able to save the building."
Damage is estimated at around $150,000 to the building and its contents.
No injuries have been reported and the cause is not believed to be suspicious.