A man accused of scalding his wife with boiling water and leaving her to die described being a victim of violence in a recorded police interview shown in court.

Mark Hutt, 36, has pleaded not guilty to a charge of first-degree murder in the death of Donna Jones in December 2009.

In the second recorded police interview shown to the court on Monday, Hutt said that he could understand a charge of negligence in her death, but didn't believe he should be charged with murder.

Hutt was told by Ottawa police Sgt. Mike Hudson, who conducted the interview, that he's never seen such a battered body in his 30 years of policing. 

"She's got broken ribs. She's got a broken nose. She's got cuts behind her ear. She's got approximately 30 pellets in her. What kind of life did this woman have," Hudson asked Hutt.


Donna Jones was allegedly burned, beat and murdered by her husband, Mark Hutt.

In his first interview with police, played in court last week, Hutt told officers he had accidentally burned her body when he knocked over a pot of water he was boiling to make pasta, not realizing she was nearby.

He said he knocked the pot over in a fit of frustration after Jones said she was going to leave him and didn't want to have children with him.

After being burned, Hutt said Jones refused medical treatment.

She died 11 days after the incident of septic shock after her untreated burn wounds became infected.

Interview followed Hutt's arrest

Hutt told Sgt. Mike Hudson in the second video shown on Monday, that his lawyer had instructed him not to talk, but he continued to talk anyway.

"No jury or judge can be harder on me than I am right now," Hutt told Hudson at the start of the interview.

Hutt said while he could understand a negligence charge, he said he would not hurt his wife intentionally.

"I can understand criminal negligence but that other thing, that's not me," he said, referring to the murder charge.

Jones was found in the home with several cracked ribs, a broken finger, third and fourth degree burns to 40 per cent of her body, two black eyes and a broken nose.

Hutt told the detective that his wife was constantly tripping over things, like the vacuum and the dogs.

Hudson tells Hutt that falls and accidents can't explain how battered his wife's body was.

Hudson asked Hutt if he wanted to be known as a "diabolical murderer" or someone who needs help with an anger problem. 

"My dad hit me when I was a kid," said Hutt.

My dad used to drink. My mother was a drunk. Her boyfriend used to kick the crap out of me.

In the video Hutt admited that he has an anger problem.

"I take it out on the people I love the most," he said.

"That's usually how it happens," replied Hudson.

Hutt said he contemplated suicide

Friends and family of Jones also alleged in court that they suspected Hutt was abusing Jones and had tried to get her to end the relationship.

He said Jones was "clumsy" and often injured herself, and had fallen off a "four-wheeler" he had given her.

Hutt told Hudson during the interview he had slapped wife Donna "once while under the influence" and after she slapped him.

He told Hudson they both apologized after the incident, he said.

Hutt also told Hudson he went to Champlain Bridge and contemplated suicide. "I told my wife I wanted to be with her," he said.