Highway 417 between Nicholas Street and the Vanier Parkway was reopened earlier than expected after the removal of the Lees Avenue overpass.
The City of Ottawa confirmed just after 10 a.m. that all lanes have been reopened.
A section of the highway was shut down in both directions at 6 p.m. Saturday.
One lane was expected to be reopened in each direction at 11 a.m. but the work was completed ahead of schedule.
Lane reductions and ramp closure are scheduled on Highway 417 through to the end of the month.
The highway is scheduled to be closed in both directions between Lees Avenue and the Highway 417/174 split at 15-minute intervals between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m. from June 23 to 28.
The City of Ottawa urges drivers to use alternate routes but Ontario Provincial Police will be directing traffic.
There will also be occasional off-peak lane reductions on Highway 417 in both directions between Kent Street and the Highway 417/174 split, as well as between Parkdale Avenue and Rochester Street from June 20 to 29. The westbound lanes of Highway 174 will also have off-peak lane reductions between Montreal Road and Blair Road from June 20 to 29.
Off-peak ramp closures have also been scheduled:
- Highway 417 eastbound off-ramp to St. Laurent Boulevard from June 22 to 28.
- Highway 417 westbound off-ramp to St. Laurent Boulevard nightly from June 23 to 27.
- Highway 417 northbound on-ramp from Vanier Parkway nightly from June 22 to 28.
- Highway 417 westbound off-ramp to Vanier Parkway overnight from June 22 to 23.
- Highway 417 southbound on-ramp from Vanier Parkway nightly from June 22 to 28.
- Highway 417 southbound on-ramp from St. Laurent Boulevard nightly from June 22 to 28 — but not closed simultaneously with the southbound on-ramp from Vanier Parkway.
The construction work is part of the Highway 417 expansion, which will add an additional lane in each direction between Nicholas Street and the Highway 417/174 split. The new lanes will be for rapid transit from 2015 to 2018 during LRT construction.
More information on road work is available at ottawa.ca.