Public health officials have issued a heat advisory for Ottawa for Tuesday and Wednesday.
Health authorities issue an advisory whenever a humidex of 36 C or more is forecast for two consecutive days.
Health officials recommend residents do six things to deal with the heat:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid heavy outdoor activity.
- Wear a hat, light and loose clothing, sunscreen and sunglasses when going outside.
- Spend at least two hours in an air-conditioned room.
- Talk with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist if you are taking medications, some medicines make it harder for your body to control its temperature.
- Stay connected with people in your community who have a difficult time coping with hot weather and those who live alone, check on them regularly.
Tuesday's high was expected to hit 30 C, with a high UV index of 7. Wednesday's high is expected to reach 31 C.