Great Bowls of Fire! Fundraiser helps out Ottawa Food Bank
Sheila Whyte, owner of Thyme & Again Creative Catering, shares her soup recipe on All in a Day
Sheila Whyte, owner of Thyme & Again Creative Catering, is on All in a Day Wednesday to share her recipe for caramelized onion, mushroom and bacon soup with croutons.
It's one of the soups entered in the Great Bowls of Fire fundraiser with proceeds going to the Ottawa Food Bank.
The Ottawa Guild of Potters organized the fundraiser where potters make bowls. The $45 price of admission gets you a bowl made by a member of the guild, and you get to fill it up with soup.
Here’s the soup recipe featured on CBC Radio on Wednesday:
Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Bacon Soup
- 2 medium-sized onions (sliced thin) from Acorn Creek Garden Farm in Carp, Ont.
- 2 cloves garlic (sliced thin).
- 1L canned diced tomato.
- 8 large mushrooms (sliced) from Champignons Le Coprin in Farrellton, Que.
- 1 oz. brandy.
- 2 tsp. chopped thyme.
- 2 tsp. chopped parsley.
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese from Glengarry Fleur en Lait & Fromagerie de Bergere Goat Cheddar.
- 1 cup croutons.
- 6 slices cooked bacon (crumbled) from Seed to Sausage in Tichborne, Ont.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- 1/8 tsp. crushed chili flakes.
- 4 L water/vegetable stock.
- Caramelize onions in large saucepot with thyme, chili flakes and a pinch of salt.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms are soft.
- Add brandy and cook until liquid is reduced.
- Add water/stock and tomatoes, bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for up to an hour.
- Season with salt and pepper and then add parsley.
- Serve in bowl and garnish with croutons, bacon and cheese.