Gluten-free, tofu jerk chicken pizza
The co-owner of M.J.M.D. Pizza de Luigi, Daniel Sabourin, shares his recipe for the gluten-free tofu jerk chicken pizza with Stu Mills, host of CBC Radio's All in a Day.
Newest pizza place in Wakefield, Que., includes options for restricted diets like dairy-free
On this week’s episode of D is for Dinner on CBC Radio’s All in a Day, the newest pizza place in Wakefield, Que., shares its gluten-free, tofu jerk chicken pizza.
M.J.M.D. Pizza de Luigi has 27 options on its menu including picks for restricted diets. One of its owners, Daniel Sabourin, spoke to interim host Stu Mills on Wednesday about the gluten-free option.
The recipe and baking instructions are below.
- 3 cups gluten-free flour blend (1 cup brown rice flour, 1 cup white rice flour, 1 cup tapioca flour, 1/2 tsp xanthan gum).
- 1 tsp salt.
- 1/2 tsp baking powder.
- 3 tbsp sugar, divided.
- 1 tbsp yeast.
- 1 1/4 cup warm water, divided.
- 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, combine yeast and 3/4 cup warm water — about 110 degrees. Too hot and it will kill the yeast! Let set for five minutes to activate. Sprinkle in 1 tbsp of the sugar a few minutes in.
- In a separate bowl, combine gluten-free flour blend, salt, baking powder and remaining 2 tbsp sugar. Whisk until well-combined.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and add the yeast mixture. Add the olive oil and additional 1/2 cup warm water before stirring. Then stir it all together until well combined, using a wooden spoon.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet or pizza stone with non-stick spray and plop your dough down. Using your hands and a little brown rice flour if it gets too sticky, work from the middle and push to spread/flatten the dough out to the edge. You want it to be pretty thin — less than 1/4 inch.
- Put the pizza in the oven to pre-bake for roughly 25-30 minutes, or until it begins to look dry. Cracks may appear, but that’s normal and totally OK.
- Remove from oven and spread generously with your favourite pizza sauce, cheese and desired toppings. We went with Daiya to keep ours dairy-free. Pop back in oven for another 20-25 minutes, or until the crust edge looks golden-brown and the toppings are warm and bubbly.
- Cut immediately and serve — reheats well the next day in the oven or microwave.