A protest against Israeli action in the Middle East is happening Saturday afternoon in Ottawa, and police say motorists should expect road closures in the downtown core and ByWard Market.
The demonstration began around 1 p.m. at the Human Rights Monument near the intersection of Elgin and Lisgar streets.
Police say it will then move through the ByWard Market before ending on Parliament Hill.
Demonstrators say this is their route:
- North on Elgin Street to Rideau Street;
- East on Rideau Street to Sussex Drive;
- North on Sussex Drive to George Street;
- East on George Street to Dalhousie Street;
- North on Dalhousie Street to Murray Street;
- West on Murray Street to Mackenzie Avenue;
- South on MacKenzie Avenue to where Rideau Street becomes Wellington Street;
- West on Wellington Street to Parliament Hill.
Organizers say the demonstration should end around 3 p.m.
Police are asking commuters to avoid the area or use alternate routes if possible.