Homeowners along the Rideau River south of Ottawa are playing a waiting game to see if rising waters that are filling basements and flooding roads will subside.
The Rideau Valley Conservation Authority said Tuesday afternoon river flows can be expected to increase, and said Rideau River Drive in Old Ottawa South and communities along the Long Reach of the river upstream of Manotick remained at risk.
An unusually balmy Monday melted much of the remaining snow cover and rain Monday night and into Tuesday has added to the watershed.
The tiny street of Hilly Lane near Kemptville has been under water since last week. While many residents have left, Don Russell slogs through knee-deep water on this street to check on his neighbour's homes.
Homes in this area don't have conventional basements, but Russell checks on a neighbours dirt floor crawl space. The water is several inches deep and the sump pump is going full tilt.
"Never had the water up this high before never… it's the highest I've ever seen it here," said Russell, who said flooding this year is different from previous years.
"This is going to be a lot longer, it hasn't started receding a lot and this rain and snow tonight and more on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday we could be in for a long haul," he said.
At Beckett's Landing, north of Kemptville, laneways are flooded and dead fish litter the streets.
It's the worst Eric Keech has seen in the 30 years he has lived in the area.
"I have not seen it like this since we've lived here. We've had some water, but nothing like this. Here I've got an extra sump in the hole just to keep up," he said.
The conservation authority expects the river flows to subside by the end of the week as no more rain or snow is expected until Saturday.
Environment Canada's weather forecast for the Ottawa region says there is a 60 per cent chance of showers Saturday and a 40 per cent chance of showers Sunday and Monday.