Women allowed to return after early morning fire at Centretown shelter

The Salvation Army and the Red Cross helped 62 women temporarily displaced after fire broke out early Saturday morning at a downtown women's shelter.

No one injured in Saturday morning blaze

Firefighters were called to a home in Winnipeg's Centennial area on Tuesday morning after an overheated pot of food caused the house to fill with smoke, leaving two adults unconscious. (CBC file photo)

More than 60 women briefly displaced after an early Saturday morning fire at a downtown emergency shelter are being allowed to return to their units.

Crews were dispatched to the Centretown shelter shortly after 2:30 a.m. after receiving multiple 911 calls about a fire in a fourth floor bedroom, said Ottawa Fire Services.

Firefighters encountered heavy black smoke inside the shelter when they arrived, officials said.

Cornerstone executive director Susan Garvey said Saturday morning the displaced women have been allowed to return to the shelter. (CBC)

The fire was brought under control by 3 a.m. 

"Everyone is OK. Everyone is safe," said Susan Garvey, the executive director of Cornerstone Housing for Women, which operates the shelter, Saturday morning.

"They all had breakfast and we're all coming back now. We're just going to settle in. Everyone is fine," said Garvey.

The shelter is "back to business," Garvey added, and simply won't be using the room where the fire broke out.

Fire officials say no one was hurt in the fire that displaced 62 women from a downtown shelter early Saturday morning. (CBC)

OC Transpo was initially sent to the scene to shelter the 62 evacuees, officials said, and the Salvation Army and the Red Cross also offered assistance to the women.

Red Cross volunteer Clement Giraneza said the agency provided emergency clothing, blankets, and toiletries to the displaced women.

"We are staying on standby ... just in case fire services or other emergency services need our help," he said.

No one was hurt in the fire. Damage to the building and its contents is estimated at $100,000, said the fire department.

The fire's cause remains under investigation.