Ferme Rouge restaurant destroyed by fire caused by welding
Welder working in basement called fire department to report flames Sunday morning
A large fire caused by welding work destroyed the Ferme Rouge restaurant in Gatineau on Sunday.
Firefighters responded to 1957 Montreal Rd. W., in Gatineau’s east end, just before 11 a.m. A welder working in the basement had called 911 to report flames.
Flames shot out of the building until it collapsed early Sunday afternoon about 90 minutes after firefighters arrived, according to the fire department.
'It's really sad to see it burn,' former resident says
It took more than six hours to bring the fire under control.
The Ferme Rouge was a cabaret-style restaurant. It was originally built as a farmhouse at the turn of the century, then became a restaurant in the 1970s. Live musical performances began in 1989, according to its website.
"It used to be my grandfather's land and farm, so it's really sad to see it burn. A lot of memories from myself and all my family, uncles and aunts and my dad," said Josee Beauvais, who lives next door.
She lived in the old farm house until she was five years old. It was sold later on and became the restaurant.
"It was always full; a very appreciated restaurant," Beauvais said.
Damage to the building and its contents is estimated at about $1.4 million.