The mother of Eric Leighton said she is relieved an inquest has been called into her son's death in a shop class explosion last year.
Last month, Sheri and her husband Pat Leighton lobbied politicians at Queen's Park for an inquest into their son's death.
On Monday morning, their request was granted when Dr. Roger Skinner, the regional coroner for eastern Ontario, announced an inquest into the May 26, 2011, death of their son.
Leighton, a student at Mother Teresa Catholic High School, was using a hot cutter on a steel drum in shop class as part of a project to make a barbeque.
A spark ignited and there was an explosion. Eric was killed and other students were injured. The teacher in charge that day has not returned to the classroom.
'I don't want another parent to go through this'
Sheri Leighton said Monday she feels relief.
"Right after Eric's passing, we wanted to do this at the very start, because we wanted schools to be safer for the next generation of children. I don't want another parent to go through this," she said.
The circumstances around Leighton's death didn't require a mandatory coroner's inquest. But Skinner decided an inquest should go ahead.
"After my review of the reports, it was my determination that the possibility for recommendations does exist," he said.
Skinner said the inquest will examine the circumstances surrounding the event and make recommendations aimed at preventing similar deaths.
The date, location and presiding coroner of the inquest have yet to be determined, but Skinner said he expects it to be held in 2013.