A 16-year-old boy from Eganville, Ont., has been sentenced and is back in Canada in police custody after a high-speed, cross-border chase last month that ended in Maine.
The boy had been travelling with a 13-year-old girl from Pembroke, Ont., who was released without charge.
U.S. police fired gunshots during the chase, which began in Ontario in mid-October weekend as Canadian officers chased a stolen vehicle and later found the vehicle abandoned in Sherbrooke, Que.
Maine State Police allege the boy then stole a car and tried to enter the Unites States in Coburn Gore, Maine.
Six shots were fired during the "wild chase" that reached speeds of more than 160 kilometres per hour, police said.
"U.S. Border Patrol agents chased the car south on Route 27," said a Maine State Police news release. "The fleeing car and a border patrol vehicle collided near Stratton, and border patrol agents fired shots at the car, which kept heading south toward Kingfield, Maine."
Spike belts deployed
The teens allegedly abandoned the car along Depot Street in Kingfield and stole a pickup truck from Riverside Street nearby, police said.
The pickup truck was later spotted by police in New Portland, Maine. Spike belts were deployed to stop the truck and two of its tires were popped.
After driving back to Kingfield, a Maine State Police cruiser hit the truck at "low speed" to try to stop it, and the truck finally came to rest along guardrails on Route 27.
"The teens then jumped down a steep embankment into the Carrabassett River, where they were captured," Maine State Police said. "Both were taken to Franklin Memorial Hospital in Farmington, Maine, for evaluation and the girl has now been transferred to Maine Medical Center in Portland with possible internal injuries as a result of jumping down the rocky embankment."
Neither child was hurt by the gunfire.
Franklin County Sheriff Scott Nichols said he was shocked to learn the suspects were teens.
Boy sentenced to 30 days in jail, including time served
"For the amount of chaos these two created for three hours, to see that they were just kids like this is something I've never encountered in 30 years of law enforcement," said Nichols.
Maine Assistant District Attorney Joshua Robbins said the boy faced four charges: eluding a police officer, passing a road block, aggravated mischief and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. A charge of aggravated assault was later added.
On Friday, the boy was sentenced to 30 days in jail and was given credit for time served. He has since been released into the custody of police in Canada, Robbins said Monday.
He appeared in court Monday and was remanded into custody to appear for a bail hearing on Wednesday. He faces charges of theft, theft of a motor vehicle, uttering threats and two counts of breach of probation.
A spokeswoman with the Sûreté du Québec in October said the Quebec provincial police have an open investigation into a car theft and said the two teens are "major suspects," but no charges have been laid.