The recipe features three items growing at Samuels's gardens: stinging nettles, asparagus and green garlic.
When handling the nettles, Samuels advises using tongs or gloves to protect hands from being stung.
You can find his goods at the Ottawa Farmers' Market on Sundays.
Creamy greeny goodness stinging nettle soup
- 200g nettles, whole or chopped.
- 100g asparagus, whole or chopped.
- 30g sorrel.
- 20g green onion.
- 20g green garlic (garlic scallions).
- 1.5L water.
- 1 leaf of lovage (depending on taste because lovage can be strong).
- Salt to taste.
- Put all the ingredients, except salt, in a 5-litre pot and place on stove.
- Cook at medium-high temperature until vegetables are soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add salt and blend soup to desired texture using either an immersion or stand-alone blender.
- Enjoy the soup with five other people.