D is for Dinner: Homemade egg rolls
Egg roll challenge this weekend features Ottawa's top deep fryers
Chris Manning like's a good egg roll, but he loves great egg rolls, and so this weekend he's launching an event called the Ottawa Eggroll Challenge.
The egg rolls of competitors Golden Palace, Ruby Inn, Wong's Palace and Dragon Fortune Delight will, in the words of the organizers, battle "in head-to-head mortal combat for deep-fried supremacy."
- 1/4 green cabbage, cored.
- 6-8 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed.
- 50 grams dried vermicelli noodle.
- 1/2 stalk celery.
- 2 green onions.
- 1/3 lb ground pork.
- 1/4 tsp Piggy Market 5 spice.
- 1 tsp salt.
- 10-15 egg roll wrappers.
- Vegetable oil for frying.
- Slice the cabbage thinly. Sauté in a little bit of oil for about one minute. Cool.
- Soak the vermicelli in water for about 15 minutes. Strain.
- Thinly slice the shiitakes, onion and celery.
- Combine prepared vermicelli and cabbage with shiitake, celery, onion and pork. Season with salt and 5 spice.
- Fill egg roll wrappers and roll into shape. At this point you can choose whether or not to close the ends. To secure the wrapper, wet with water and press closed.
- Heat oil in a pot to 350 degrees C. Carefully place in egg rolls and cook until golden brown, about 5-8 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.