D is for Dinner: Cardamom chicken
Jodi Samis is the owner of Cardamom & Cloves, a new spice shop in Ottawa's Little Italy neighbourhood, and she's sharing a recipe for cardamom chicken this week.
Cardamom is spice of the month at a new spice shop in Little Italy
Jodi Samis is the owner of Cardamom & Cloves, a new spice shop in Ottawa's Little Italy neighbourhood. She is Alan Neal's D is for Dinner guest on All in a Day on Wednesday.
The store stocks more than 100 fresh herbs and spices. Cardamom is the shop's spice of the month, and this recipe calls for fresh, green cardamom. (It also comes in black.)
- 3 lbs. chicken pieces, cuts of your choice, skin on or off.
- 12 green cardamom pods.
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed.
- 1 1/4-inch piece fresh ginger, grated.
- 1 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt.
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced.
- 2 tbsp. canola oil.
- 1 2/3 cup coconut milk.
- 6 fresh green chilies pricked all over with a fork.
- 1 large handful cilantro leaves, chopped.
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated, fresh black pepper.
- Salt to taste.
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and crush with a mortar and pestle or electric spice grinder.
- Mix crushed garlic and ginger with 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt to make a paste. Add the cardamom and 1 1/2 tsp. of grated fresh black pepper and the lemon zest.
- Cover chicken with the yogurt mixture and set, covered in the fridge, overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan. When heated, add chicken and brown all over.
- Add remaining yogurt and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, add chilies and cilantro and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and lemon juice to taste. Serve with rice.