D is for Dinner: Baked bananas with black garlic
All in a Day airs Monday to Friday on CBC Radio One, 91.5 FM in Ottawa from 3 to 6 p.m. ET
This week on D is for Dinner, Alan Neal speaks with Andrew Craig, owner of Major Craig’s, whose business is well known for its chutney.
D is for Dinner airs every Wednesday on CBC Radio’s All in a Day with host Alan Neal.
Craig is bringing in a dessert topping that includes black garlic, his food obsession. Black garlic is made by roasting the bulbs for an extended period of time until they turn black.
Here’s a recipe for a dessert that features the topping:
Baked Bananas with Black Garlic
- 1 banana, leave the skin on and cut in half.
- 1 milk chocolate bar.
- 1 clove of black garlic, finely chopped.
- 2 tsp. of honey.
- 1 tsp. brown sugar.
- 2 tbsp. of brandy or dark rum.
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream.
- 30 centimetres of tin foil and a baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place banana halves together in the centre of the foil.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, black garlic and honey.
- Using a cheese grater, grate chocolate evenly over the banana. Pour the brandy over top and close the foil as a little parcel. Place on the baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove banana from foil and serve hot with vanilla ice cream.