Ottawa city Coun. Stephen Blais is getting out of the hospital after surviving a winter heart attack and infection at just 32 years old.

Blais, who represents Cumberland Ward, suffered a heart attack on Jan. 6 at the Goodlife Fitness in Place d'Orleans.

He had been rehabilitating at The Ottawa Hospital's General campus, but tweeted Wednesday morning he would finally be going home.

"So it's all set, I'm being discharged from the hospital later today, I can't wait to get home!" he said.

He had moved to the General campus from the University of Ottawa Heart Insitute at the end of March.

Hopes to get back to work before the summer

Blais spoke with Ottawa Morning host Hallie Cotnam Tuesday about his ongoing recovery, seeing his three-year-old son once again and his return to work soon.

He said he hopes his health will allow him to return to a council meeting before the summer, even if it's just "popping in." He added he's been doing "a bit" of work from the hospital.

As he posted on Twitter Monday, Blais is performing such activities as taking practice golf swings inside a gymnasium at the rehab clinic.

He said he's gaining back physical strength, but his heart health is fine. He said he lost a lot of muscle mass while he was glued to a hospital bed and he suffered a nerve injury in his leg while paramedics worked to save his life.

"When I got to the rehab centre at the end of March I couldn't stand for more than 10 seconds, and now I'm walking with a cane," he told Cotnam while fighting off tears.

Blais said he has no memory of the day he suffered the heart attack, which doctors blame on family history. His last memory was the day before watching football with his young son.

His next memory was waking up at the end of January, weeks after the incident, to see his wife and his mother.

"I think it's certainly brought my wife and I a lot closer. She's with me every day," he said, referring to the constant care he has received.

Missing his three-year-old son

Blais also said the responses from constituents and people he has never met has been "tremendously heartwarming." But the visits and response don't compare to missing his son for about a month, he said.

"It was real tough. He still doesn't quite understand why I'm not at home every day," Blais said.

The councillor is allowed home now on day passes over the weekend, where he gets to play with his son in the backyard. He said the biggest surprise for him was his son's improved vocabulary while he was in an induced coma.

Now the councillor is reflecting about life and he is focused on moving forward.

"I have had a lot of time to think. You think about if there was anything you could do to have stopped it from happening in the first place. You think about what would have happened if it had not gone the right way," Blais said.

"I can't change what happened. I have to look forward for my family, for myself, for my constituents and for the city, and just start thinking about what I want to know going forward once I'm out of the hospital."

Blais said he wants to start helping to raise money for the heart institute and for the Montfort Hospital by sharing his story.