Condo fire sends woman to hospital with 1st-degree burns

A woman was sent to hospital with severe burns to her hands and chest after a south Ottawa condo fire in her unit.

A 36-year-old woman was rushed to hospital with first- and second-degree burns after a fire at a condominium building.

One woman was taken to hospital after a fire at a condo building late Sunday. (CBC)

Firefighters responded to the fire at about 10:50 p.m. Sunday at 43 Waterbridge Dr. near the intersection of Prince of Wales Drive and Woodroffe Avenue.

The fire began inside one of the eight units in the two-storey building, but firefighters quickly got it under control.

The woman living inside the unit was rushed to hospital with first-degree burns to her hands and chest, second-degree burns to her hands and smoke inhalation.

She was listed in stable condition when she arrived at hospital.

The fire was limited to the kitchen but there was extensive smoke damage throughout the unit.

The cause of the fire was a pot of grease, which the victim tried to extinguish that caused her burns. She has also been displaced as a result.

Total damage was estimated at $65,000 with some water damage to a neighbouring unit.