Chimney fire causes $200K in damage to house
No one hurt during fire on Bertona Street Sunday night
Two people have been temporarily forced out of their home after their chimney caught fire on Sunday night.
It happened at 45 Bertona St., near Woodroffe Avenue and Knoxdale Road, just before 5:30 p.m.
People who called 911 reported that the roof appeared to be on fire. One of the callers then ran to the house to bang on the front door, said fire department spokesman Marc Messier.
The people inside didn't know there was a fire but managed to get out safely.
No one was hurt.
The house and its contents sustained about $200,000 in damage.
A section of Bertona Street was closed, but later reopened.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. The fire department is reminding people to make sure indoor fires aren't too big or overstocked.