Chemistry experiment gone wrong sends 9 students to hospital
Chemical gas evacuates building after students report irritated eyes and throat
Nine students at an Ottawa private school were taken to the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario Wednesday with irritated eyes and throats after a chemical experiment at the school went wrong.
Ottawa paramedics said a teacher and three students at the Higher Learning Institute at 3047 Carling Ave. were doing an experiment at about 11:15 a.m. ET, as they were mixing chemicals that produced a gas.
Several students reported shortness of breath and irritated eyes and throats, paramedics said. The building was then evacuated.
Meanwhile, about 20 people waited in an OC Transpo bus to keep warm.