CBC picks Atherton, Suuns, Calvin Love, Mounties in Ottawa area
Atherton w/ Dezmatic and Been Grim @ Pressed on Friday at 8 p.m., $10
Atherton is a born and bred Ottawan who's all about supporting his community whether that means hosting hip-hop karaoke nights, featuring local musicians on his tracks or shedding a spotlight on the city's food scene. You might not have guessed rap to be well suited to a charred mirliton with quinoa and sunflower seeds … but you would've been wrong. Along with two New York rappers, Dezmatic and Benn Grim, Atherton is doing a tour of Ottawa, Montreal, Peterborough and Toronto to get a taste of the foodie culture in each city, and then play a show.
On Friday at Pressed, visitors will not only get to see some great indie rappers perform, they’ll also hear reviews of Oz, Union, El Camino and Erling's Variety, complete with a slideshow of the sampled dishes. The whole gastronomic journey will even be documented on Twitter, @forkandknifetour. Atherton, Dezmatic and Benn Grim will be joined on Friday by a handful of other rappers from New York and Ottawa, including locals Flight Distance, who'll be opening.
Suuns @ Black Sheep Inn w/ Scattered Clouds, Saturday at 8:30 p.m., $12
There's a lot happening around town on Saturday in all sorts of venues like Gallery 101, where Guerilla Magazine is launching its 10th anniversary print edition to the smooth sounds of Moonfruits and Gillian Kirkland. Then there's what I'm positive will be a sold-out show by Silkken Laumann at Gabba Hey, a formerly discreet warehouse venue in the City Centre.
Calvin Love w/ Theaternia @ Club SAW, Saturday at 10 p.m., $10
That escape couldn't last forever, though. Calvin Love will be in our chilly city on Saturday to get cold feet stomping to the beat of his drum machine at Club SAW. Ottawa's own Theaternia is the opener. 10p.m., $10.
Mounties w/ The Zolas, James Younger at Mavericks, Wednesday at 8 p.m., $17.50
Seeing as the music column happens on Thursdays, we tend to forget about Wednesdays so here's a hump-day happening to mark in your calendar for next week, featuring a triad of top-notch Canadian music men. Take Steve Bays (Hot Hot Heat), Ryan Dahle (Limblifter, Age of Electric) and throw Hawksley Workman behind a drum kit, and you get Mounties. They first hit it off making small talk at the Junos in 2009 and that chance meeting eventually led to a recording session between Hawksley, Ryan and Steve that was completely improvised over two weeks.
- All-Stars Blues Thursdays @ Irene's w/ guest host Steve Groves, 9 p.m., free
- Green & Gold @ Raw Sugar w/ Patrick Shank, 8 p.m., $8
- The Head and the Heart @ The Bronson Centre w/ Basia Bulat, 7 p.m., $29.50
- Smoota @ Zaphod's, 8p.m., $7
- Andrew W.K. @ Mavericks w/ We Were Sharks, Robots! Everywhere! 9 p.m., $20
- Reggae Night w/ Roots Movement @ The Rainbow, 11:30 p.m., $7
- Lunch at Allen's @ Neat Food in Burnstown, Ont., 7:30 p.m., $65
- Atherton, Dezmatic & Benn Grim @ Pressed, w/ Flight Distance, 8 p.m., $10
- Mother's Children @ Luneta w/ Flying Fortress, Hassler, 8 p.m., $5
- Ian Kelly @ Shenkman Arts Centre, 8 p.m., $33.50
- Wildlife @ Zaphod's w/ Fire and Neon, Farewell Davidson, 8:30 p.m., $10
- Amos the Transparent @ Black Sheep Inn w/ Hands & Teeth, 8 p.m., $10
- B.A. Johnston @ Irene's w/ Yuma County, Saint Clair, 9 p.m., $8
- J.W. Jones @ The Rainbow, 9:30 p.m., $12
- Pro Organo Ottawa organ recital @ Eglise Ste-Anne/Saint Clement's Church ft. John Grew, 8 p.m., $20
- Kelly McMichael & The Gloss @ Raw Sugar w/ Jon Hynes, 8 p.m., $7
- Walrus and Chairs @ Cafe Alt, 9 p.m., $5
- Alex Cuba @ Neat Food in Burnstown, 7:30 p.m., $40
- Calvin Love @ Club SAW w/ Theaternia, 10 p.m., $10
- Suuns @ Black Sheep Inn w/ Scattered Clouds, 8:30 p.m., $12
- Silkken Laumann @ Gabba Hey w/ Matt Tamblyn, Cabaal, 10 p.m., $8
- Highs @ Zaphod's w/ King's Quest, Sea Change, 8 p.m., $7
- Young Running @ Irene's, w/ Whiskey Fields, 9:30 p.m., $10
- Trent Severn @ NAC Fourth Stage, 7:30 p.m., $25
- Rankin Yout & the Dub Pilots @ The Rainbow, 9:30 p.m., $10
- Don Ross @ Neat Food in Burnstown, 7:30 p.m., $25
- Catherine MacLellan & Jonathan Byrd @ Black Sheep Inn, 4:20 p.m., $20
- Open Blues Jam @ The Rainbow w/ host: River City Junction, 4 p.m., $3
- Mark Harrison @ The Rainbow, 8:30p.m., $5
- The Lemon Squeeze @ Irene's, 8:30p.m., free
- Mounties @ Mavericks w/ The Zolas, James Younger, 8 p.m., $17.50