Carbon monoxide poisoning in garage sends Ottawa man to hospital
Man was working with a propane-powered forklift
A 45-year-old Ottawa man is recovering after a case of carbon monoxide poisoning in his garage Tuesday afternoon.
Ottawa paramedics said they got a call about a man unconscious in his east-end garage around 1:45 p.m.
When they arrived, they said they found a man who had been using a propane-powered forklift unconscious on the floor of the enclosed garage.
They said they found a high amount of carbon monoxide gas in the area and he was treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.
That man regained consciousness on the way to the hospital and is in serious, but stable condition, according to paramedics.
Carbon monoxide is a gas given off by burning fuels (coal, wood, propane, gasoline or natural gas) that can't be seen or smelled, only recognized by its symptoms that are similar to the flu: headaches, feeling dizzy and feeling short of breath.
Ottawa paramedics said they'd like to remind people to never use gas-powered machines or tools in enclosed spaces or outdoors, if used near doors or windows.
The Ontario government recently passed a law making it mandatory for any home with a garage, fireplace or fuel-burning appliance to have a working carbon monoxide detector outside all sleeping areas.
The Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs said more than 50 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning in Canada, about 11 of them in Ontario.