In case you're new to the city, Canada Day in Ottawa is a big deal, particularly on Parliament Hill.
Where's CBC on Canada Day? We'll be hosting the CBC Songwriters Circle at Major's Hill Park and also covering all the major events.
Here's the rundown of the Canada Day festivities on Parliament Hill, which run from 9 a.m. to the 10 p.m. fireworks show.
- 9 a.m. Carillon Concert. Enjoy the beautiful sounds of the Peace Tower’s 53-bell carillon.
- 9:30 a.m. Flag Raising Ceremony
- 10 a.m. Changing of the Guard Ceremony
- Noon to 1:30 p.m. Canada Day Noon Show (Broadcast Live). The event begins with the inspection of the guard and the 21-gun salute. The focus then turns to the main stage for cultural performances from across Canada and Canada Day speeches by dignitaries.
- 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Relax on the lawns of Parliament while strolling buskers and drummers entertain.
- 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. Canada Day Evening Show (Broadcast Live) Includes performances by Feist, Simple Plan, Roch Voisine, Marie-Mai, Jully Black, Misstress Barbara, Donny Parenteau.
- 10 p.m. President's Choice Fireworks. The grand finale with fireworks that can be seen over the Parliament Buildings. Good views of the fireworks can also be found at the Canadian Museum of Civilization and Jacques-Cartier Park in Gatineau and Major's Hill Park and Victoria Island in Ottawa.