A burn expert testifying at the trial of a man accused of scalding his wife and leaving her to die said her injuries were consistent with someone who had a "kitchen pot" of hot liquid poured over her back.

Mark Hutt is on trial for first-degree murder in the 2009 death of his wife, Donna Jones. Crown lawyers allege Hutt scalded his wife and then left her to die in the basement of her home, which she did 11 days later.

The court saw graphic images on Wednesday of Jones's burns, which were on most of her back, her arms and her chest and extended down her inner thighs and onto her ankles.

Some jurors had to look away when the photos were displayed.

Burn expert Dr. Joel Fish said the burns were consistent with someone having a pot full of hot water poured over them as they crouched down.

Jones's burns were consistent with someone who had been burned seven to 10 days earlier, said Fish, who now runs the burn program at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.

Fish said if he treated Jones he would immediately put her on a high dose of morphine for the pain and her chances of survival would have been "virtually 100 per cent."

A pathology report indicates Jones died of septic shock after her untreated burn wounds became infected.

There were also several holes on her body that are not burn-related injuries, said Fish.

Husband said burns happened while camping

On Tuesday the court heard Hutt's call to 911, as well as testimony from police who arrived at the scene.

Ottawa police Det. Tara Anderson said Hutt told her Jones was drunk when she fell into a fire pit at a work conference in Cornwall, and that co-workers patted her down and drove her home.

The detective testified she saw severe burns on the victim's stomach, arms and sides. Jones also had two black eyes, scrapes and holes in her legs, Anderson said.

She also told court that Jones "looked like she had been dragged behind a car on a gravel road," and she described Hutt as "agitated and hysterical."

Anderson said Hutt didn't cry when he was told his wife was dead.

Hutt allegedly said Jones refused to go to hospital, physically fought him off and screamed at him when he wanted to take her.

He told police he treated her pain with Tylenol. When she had problems breathing, he gave her puffs from his asthma inhaler and when he thought she was having an allergic reaction he gave her Benadryl.

Fish said there would be no way someone in septic shock would be able to "physically hit and scream" to prevent someone from taking them to the hospital for treatment because the person would be too weak.