Three fires throughout the city kept firefighters busy Sunday, causing extensive damage to one home and damaging the kitchen of a Montana's Cookhouse restaurant.

The first blaze broke out at the restaurant's 4230 Innes Rd. location just before 6 a.m., in the restaurant's deep fryer. Firefighters saw smoke when they arrived and forced their way inside. The kitchen fire was quickly brought under control and caused about $40,000 in damage, including light smoke damage in the dining area.

No one was hurt, and health inspectors were called to the scene.

The second fire broke out in a bungalow at 8300 Flewellyn Rd., where an elderly couple live, at about 7:30 a.m. Firefighters said it likely started in the basement, and that the couple were able to get out of the house on their own before fire crews arrived.

An 84-year-old woman was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital. No one else was hurt.

The main floor was severely damaged, making the house unsafe to enter.

Damage is estimated at about $425,000.

The third fire broke out in a ninth-floor apartment unit at 1170 Fisher Ave., a highrise building, at about 1:15 p.m.

The fire was quickly brought under control.

A 46-year-old man was taken to hospital to be assessed for smoke inhalation, while other people were assessed at the scene, paramedics said.