Barrhaven garage fire causes nearly $200K in damage
One person was temporarily forced from their home after a fire broke out in a garage in Barrhaven on Monday night.
The fire broke out at 68 Amherst Cres., near Jockvale and Greenbank roads, just after 6:30 p.m. It took firefighters 40 minutes to bring the flames under control.
No one was hurt. Two dogs were rescued by firefighters, according to a media release.
The two-storey home and its contents sustained about $190,000 in damage, and firefighters believe ashes from a fireplace may have been to blame.
The fire department is reminding people to store ashes in a covered metal container, and to keep the container a safe distance away from a house or other buildings.