A show to see in Ottawa this week, plus listings
Renny Wilson, Brazilian Money, Tee Tahs and Organ Eyes among Jessa Runciman's picks
Renny Wilson, Brazilian Money, Tee Tahs & Organ Eyes @ Mugshots Tuesday 8 p.m.
It's a bit of an invasion of Albertans over the next few days, apparently. We've just been talking about a Calgarian band, but on Tuesday, Edmontonians are taking over another venue in town. One of them, Renny Wilson, has been putting that city in the spotlight since releasing his album Sugarglider a couple of years ago. It saw him get in touch with his inner disco master, complete with high-pitched vocals and retro-workout-video synth.
As if one diversely-talented Edmonton act wasn't enough, Brazilian Money is also on the bill. They're a low-fi rock band (with whom Renny used to play) whose experimentation lends them a lot of variation in style and mood from one song to the next. Rounding things out are Tee Tahs — also from Edmonton — and Organ Eyes, for some solid Ottawa representation. 8 p.m., $7.
Tuesday, July 8
- Renny Wilson, Brazilian Money, Tee Tahs, Organ Eyes @ Mugshots 8 p.m., $7.
- Queens of the Stone Age, Styx, Foreigner, Gareth Emery, Jake Bugg, Don Felder, David Heartbreak, Brody Dalle, Pith & The Parenchymas, Tokyo Police Club, Wagons & more @ Bluesfest (LeBreton Flats) 6 p.m., $50.
- Django Libre @ Atomic Rooster w/ live art 7 p.m., free.
Wednesday, July 9
- Phantogram, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, Cypress Hill, The Killers, No BS! Brass Band, Wagons, Holy Ghost!, Royal Canoe, Average Times & more @ Bluesfest (LeBreton Flats) 6 p.m., $50.
- PMMA @ House of Targ w/ Durs Coeurs 9 p.m., $5.
- The Pick Brothers @ The Rainbow w/ Cooper Maclean & The Mean Eyed Cats, Dynamite Motel 9 p.m., $7.