Six children were taken to hospital as a precaution after suffering from possible food poisoning at a south Ottawa elementary school where a Chinese summer camp was taking place.
Paramedics responded to St. Cecilia School at 3490 Cambrian Rd., a brand new Catholic elementary school that opened in September 2013, at about 3:30 p.m. on Thursday.
About 25 children and four adults were feeling ill. The children were between five and 13 years old and six of them were taken to hospital due to vomiting, dizziness and diarrhea.
There were a total of 89 children attending the Tian Tian Chinese Summer Camp, paramedics said. In total, paramedics assessed about 40 people.
None of the injuries were believed to be life-threatening and paramedics ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning as a cause. They believe the issue was food poisoning from a rice dish ordered from a restaurant.
A hazardous materials crew from Ottawa Fire Services said they found no dangerous substances inside the school.
Parents were seen picking up their children from the camp Thursday afternoon. The school, located between Kilbirnie Drive and Greenbank Road, was also evacuated as a precaution.
Officials with Ottawa Public Health are investigating.