About 40 homes had to be evacuated in Vars, just southeast of Ottawa, on Saturday night after a fire caused a natural gas leak.
Ottawa fire officials say they received a 911 call about a fire at 1861 Division St. at about 5:18 p.m. Saturday.
When firefighters arrived, they found flames at the front of the detached two-storey home. Nobody was home at the time, officials said.
The fire was elevated to a second alarm as more firefighters were called in to tackle the blaze. Officials said they were forced to fight the fire from the outside and tried to protect other homes from catching fire, as well.
Approx 40 homes remain evacuated in area of Division St fire due to natural gas leak at scene. #ottnews— Marc Messier (@OttawaFirePIO) March 30, 2014
The fire also caused a natural gas leak in the area, forcing the evacuation of 40 homes. Power was also turned off for an entire block, according to fire officials.
While the fire was under control by about 7:30 p.m., families weren’t able to return home until a few hours later due to the gas leak.
The damage to the home was estimated at $200,000 and fire officials are investigating the cause. Nobody was injured.
The Salvation Army was also on scene to serve hot meals to residents and firefighters.