Ottawa police Chief Charles Bordeleau announced Thursday that three sexual assaults over the past 17 months are linked to one unknown serial predator, and that seven other cases may be linked to the same suspect as well.
The victims were between the ages of 18 and 30, and all of them had been walking alone before they were attacked. All three were choked, police said.
The assaults happened between August 2012 and October 2013 on Banner Road, Lancaster Road and Aldea Avenue.
- Aug. 5, 2012, at about 3 a.m.: A woman was sexually assaulted at her home on Banner Road.
- June 26, 2013, at about 10 p.m.: A woman was sexually assaulted on a footpath between Lancaster Road and Erinbrook Crescent.
- Oct. 7, 2013, at about 9:50 p.m.: A woman was sexually assaulted on Aldea Avenue near Lasalle Street.
Police sources said the cases were linked with DNA evidence, and that fingerprints were also gathered at the scenes of the Banner Road and Greenbank Road attacks.
Police once again shared two previously released composite sketches and are asking the public for any information on the suspect.
“We are asking the public to take at look at the two artist's rendering of the suspect, read his description and the description of the crimes and consider whether this is someone they know and whether they have information about these cases,” Bordeleau said in an emailed statement.
“Someone knows this individual and may even suspect something already. We need their help to protect potential future victims and to identify the individual responsible.”
Police suspect predator could be linked to 7 other cases
- Late March 2013, at about 5 a.m.: A woman was sexually assaulted in the 2600 block of Draper Avenue. In this case, police released surveillance video from inside the apartment building.
- June 1, 2013, at about 4 a.m.: A woman was sexually assaulted on Laurier Avenue near Chapel Street.
- Sept. 1, 2013, at about 4:30 a.m.: A woman was sexually assaulted in a park at 6376 Bilberry Dr.
- Oct. 16, 2013, at about 10:45 p.m.: A woman was sexually assaulted in the 2400 block of Baseline Road between Woodroffe Avenue and Greenbank Road.
- Dec. 17, 2013, at about 11:15 p.m.: A woman was sexually assaulted on Broadway Avenue near Craig Street.
- Dec. 18, 2013, at about 11:15 p.m.: A woman was sexually assaulted in a park near the 1100 block of Bordeau Grove.
- Jan. 5, 2014, at about 10 p.m.: A woman was sexually assaulted in the 600 block of Chapman Mills Drive.
The suspect is described as possibly being of Middle Eastern descent with short dark hair. He spoke English during the attacks and possibly a foreign language. He's in his 20s, standing five feet nine inches tall to five feet eleven inches tall (175 to 180 cm) with a slim to medium build. He had trimmed facial hair, thick eyebrows and a prominent nose.
"According to some witness statements, he takes care of his appearance, is a neat or fashionable dresser, and in the most recent case he was described as toned, [with an] athletic build and broad shoulders," police said in a media release.
Again, all three victims were choked. Police said the suspect "may show a preference for that type of behaviour in his personal and intimate relationships."