Here are CBC Ottawa's picks for this weekend in the Ottawa area:
The Richardson Band @ Raw Sugar Café (Friday, 8 p.m.)
On Friday, I’ve got something a wee bit closer to home… A night out in Chinatown. If you’re in the mood for reverb-drenched, country-tinged, belted-out vocals against a backdrop of driving guitar… Well, then you'll want to catch The Richardson Band. You might’ve seen them around town over the past couple of years in places where beer is served and hazy rock music plays on the soundsystem — but the venue they’re playing on Friday night is a little less coarse and more cute: Raw Sugar Café on Somerset.
Now, if you’ve seen The Richardson Band in the past and became a fan, I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that this is The Richardson Band's last show; after three years, the trio is calling it quits. The good news is as someone who now knows this, you can make the most of it. The Richardson Band will be playing with The Old Salts and Matt Farrier. 8 p.m., $10.
Listen to Bandwidth every Saturday from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. for your local music fix.
Catriona Sturton & Lowlands @ Pressed (Saturday, 9 p.m.)
Just around the corner from Raw Sugar, there’s a show at Pressed on Saturday that’s worth checking out if you’ve got an appreciation for honest, unadorned songwriting. Local sweetheart Catriona Sturton is kicking things off. This lady's musical capacity knows no limits — she’s done everything from playing bass in Plumtree (an indie-rock band in the 90s) to punking out in Japan for a while, to showing off her seriously heavy harmonica skills right here on Ottawa Morning.
The latest thing — according to a post on Catriona’s website — is that she spent last weekend in Toronto teaming up with a couple of former bandmates from Plumtree to record. She said she was "excited and nervous" — and I’m sure a good chunk of the people at Pressed on Saturday would be excited to hear what they came up with, too.
Also playing that show is Guelph band Lowlands. They make indie rock but with a real current of folk and delta blues influences running through their songs. Lowlands actually got their start as a house band to entertain the admission line-up in Toronto’s Great Hall, which speaks to the musicianship of the band. When I heard them, what I felt was a warmth and richness, and a kind of confidence — or maybe a sense of being wiser than their years. The Lowlands and Catriona Sturton show starts at 9 p.m. on Saturday. $8.
Dusty Drifters @ Irene's Pub (Sunday, 9 p.m.)
I want to draw your Sunday night attention toward Irene’s Pub, where for the past three years, the Sunday night culture has revolved around one thing… "You Bet Your Ass It’s Bluegrass!" (I’m not just enthusiastic. That’s what they call the event.)
Every week, the Dusty Drifters host a night of banjo-infused musical camaraderie. I was at the last one for the first time in a while and remembered just what a good time it is: a packed bar, a diverse crowd, the inevitable dancing in front of the stage… But according to Pauly Roberto, Dusty Drifters frontman and master of ceremonies, this coming Sunday will be the last bluegrass night they put on at Irene’s — so if you’ve been meaning to drop by and haven’t made it, this weekend is your last chance!
Music starts around 9 p.m., and it’s free to get in. I have a feeling it’ll be a busy night, though, so you might want to show up early!
- Aidan Knight @ Black Sheep Inn w/ Folly & the Hunter: 8:30 p.m., $15
- Delta Will @ Pressed w/ Claude Munson: 9 p.m., $8
- Saali @ Zaphod’s w/ Gabriella Hook: 8 p.m., $10
- Melissa Ouimet @ NAC Fourth Stage w/ Abel Maxwell: 7 p.m., $15
- The Richardson Band @ Raw Sugar w/ The Old Salts, Matt Farrier: 8 p.m., $10
- Suns of Stone CD Release @ Black Sheep Inn w/ The Wicked Mercy: 8:30 p.m., $10
- Say Domino @ Pressed w/ Kings Quest: 9 p.m., $8
- The Ya Yas @ Irene’s: 9:30 p.m., $10
- Andre M. Bluteau @ Mercury Lounge f. Mike Dubue (Hilotrons): 9 p.m., $10
- Hearts & Mines @ Zaphod’s w/ Navy Skies, Those Gulls: 8 p.m., $5
- Amanda Bon & the Outskirts @ NAC Fourth Stage (CD Release): 7:30 p.m., $22
- Lowlands + Catriona Sturton @ Pressed: 9 p.m., $8
- Marxist Cowboy @ Burgers On Main w/ Forgotten Fix, The Amalgamation, David Pierce: 9 p.m., $5
- Ninety Pounds of Ugly @ Café Dekcuf w/ Dang Guilty, Callan Furlong: 9 p.m., $10
- Michael Feuerstack (aka Snailhouse) @ Raw Sugar w/ Neil Haverty: 8 p.m., $10
- The Roxanne Goodman Show @ Dominion Chalmers United Church: 8 p.m., $25
- Lynn Miles @ Black Sheep Inn: 8:30 p.m., $20
- Fevers, Birthday Girls, Adaline, Glenn Nuotio @ Ritual: 9 p.m., $12
- Tilda @ Irene’s w/ The Still Winter Hills: 9:30 p.m., $8
- The Dusty Drifters @ Irene’s: 9 p.m., FREE
- Ravenswing @ Minto Park ft. Loon Choir, Jesse Dangerously, The Yips, Winchester Warm, Scattered Clouds, Saxsyndrum: 1 p.m.-5 p.m., FREE
- Thom Swift & Steve Marriner @ Black Sheep Inn: 4:20 p.m., $15
- Owls by Nature @ The Rainbow w/ Django Libre: 9 p.m., $5