Barnstorm Music Festival in Finch, Ont., Saturday, 6 p.m, $20
On Saturday, you might want to fill up the gas tank and take a drive out to Finch, in North Stormont, for the annual Barnstorm gathering. Imagine being inside a big old barn, in the middle of the countryside, with acts like Jack Pine & the Fire, Alaskan and Shannon Rose & the Thorns to provide a soundtrack. They call the barn "The Odditorium"; it's 150 years old but has been revamped over the years to function as a warm, rustic venue for live music. If you go, you're encouraged to bring a lawn chair, bug spray, cosy clothes — and a tent and sleeping bag, too, if you feel like making a night of it. 6 p.m., $20 at the gate.
Pere Ubu @ Mavericks Monday, 8 p.m., $23
If you're willing to tackle Tuesday morning with a little less sleep than usual, Mavericks is the place to be on Monday night. It'll be hosting an avant-garage band out of Ohio.
Pere Ubu came up with that term themselves in a tongue-in-cheek way, because they were tired of journalists looking for a description to pigeon-hole them with. And pigeon-holing would've proved difficult, because the band set themselves apart in the seventies for just how unique and eccentric they were.
The music is energized and frantic, and that intensity sent shockwaves through the music community when Pere Ubu first started making appearances. To prepare for those shows, the band's frontman, David Thomas, had a weird technique for keeping his vocals in top form … People used to talk about how he'd put his hand into a tub of Vicks VapoRub and coat the inside of his throat with it. Totally gross, but I guess it worked for him. 8 p.m., $23.
- Barnstorm Music Festival @ "The Odditorium" (15328 Concession 3-4, Finch ON) w/ Bible All-Stars, The Bruitals, Shannon Rose & the Thorns, Jack Pine & the Fire, The Bushpilots,
- Alaskan 6 p.m., $20
- Fancytramp @ Gabba Hey w/ Street Meat, Blue Angel 10 p.m., $5
- Punk Rock Cover Night #9 @ Mavericks w/ Brandon Allan, New Swears, Glorious Moonrockets & more... Performing Television, Metallica, The Dictators & more... Proceeds go to Teja's
- Animal Refuge 8 p.m., $5-10
- The Standby Brothers @ The Branch (Kemptville) 9 p.m., $5
- Steve Stacey & the Stump Splitters @ Irene's Pub w/ Sean Burns Band 9:30 p.m., $10
- Souljazz Orchestra @ House of PainT (Dunbar Bridge) w/ Mz. Revolution 9:30 p.m., $PWYC ($5 suggested)
- Suns of Stone @ Black Sheep Inn w/ The Wind and The Wild 8:30 p.m., $7
- Nhapitapi @ Pressed Zimbabwean beats 8 p.m., $10
- Buck Tingley & the Hard Lookin' Tickets @ The Rainbow 10 p.m., $10
- Sarah Cripps @ Zaphod's w/ The Hated Sons 8 p.m., $7
- Pleasurecraft @ The Carleton Tavern 9:30 p.m., free
- Zappien @ Avant-Garde 7 p.m., $7
- Fireside Sunday 2/ The Jack Pine Trio @ Irene's Pub 9:30 p.m., free
- The Pack A.D. @ Black Sheep Inn w/ HydroVents 4:20 p.m., $10
- River City Junction @ Atomic Rooster 6pm, free
- Chef Bruce's Loose & Juicy Acoustic Jam @ The Branch (Kemptville) 3pm, free
- Pere Ubu @ Mavericks w/ The Band Whose Name is a Symbol, Gagarin 8 p.m., $23
- Open Blues Jam @ The Rainbow w/ host Wicked Grin 4pm, $3