Halifax began cleaning up on Monday from the worst storm to hit the peninsula in decades.

About 180,000 Nova Scotians were still without electrical power Monday night and many customers might have to wait until Thursday to regain it.

Earlier in the day a hospital was so badly hit that 200 of its patients had to be moved due to safety concerns.

Streets blocked by fallen trees made driving impossible and officials asked the public to stay away from the capital's downtown core so that crews could clear away the damage.

Defence Minister John McCallum said 600 soldiers would be sent to help Halifax clean up and Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman said his city wants to offer help to P.E.I. and Nova Scotia.

Hurricane Juan, downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it reached Labrador Monday afternoon, left much of Atlantic Canada dazed.

The winds Juan brought to shore uprooted trees, beached boats and sent staff at the Canadian Hurricane Centre scurrying from their 19th-floor offices as the building began to sway.

Two Nova Scotians were killed by falling trees, one a Halifax paramedic, and the other a motorist in Enfield.

Municipal officials declared a state of emergency and shut down buses, ferries and schools. One of the bridges linking Halifax and Dartmouth was closed to traffic the toll booths were damaged.

"It's only at daybreak that it has become safe enough for our crews to reach many areas," said Margaret Murphy, a spokesperson with Nova Scotia Power. "We're starting to see some progress now but many areas are still impassable."

The storm surge caused flooding in coastal areas.

Flights in and out of Halifax International Airport resumed on Monday, with some delays.

Juan was compared to 1996's Hurricane Hortense, the first hurricane to make landfall in the province since Blanche in 1975. Hortense uprooted trees, knocked down power lines and blew out windows.