Coyotes can be found in rural and urban area across Canada. They often shy away from humans, but if one does approach, here's what to do:
- Be aggressive. Wave your arms, stomp and yell loudly in a deep voice to deter it from coming closer.
- Stand your ground. Stay where you are and look it in the eye. Never run away; it is more likely to consider you prey, give chase and seriously harm you.
- Be prepared. The best defence is a good offence; carry a whistle, flashlight and/or personal alarm. This is especially important for small children who play outside or walk to school in areas where coyotes have been spotted.
- Stay together. If you are walking in an area that has high coyote activity, never do so without a companion.
- Don't lure them with food. Coyotes are scavengers. If you have pets, feed them inside the house. Don't leave meat scraps or products in compost buckets outside your house, and keep regular compost in an enclosed area. Also ensure garbage bins have tight resealable lids to keep out animals.