The trial of a suspended high school principal accused of a number of sex-related charges resumed Friday in Windsor.
Three witnesses, including the complainant, failed to show earlier this week so the trial of 51 year old Douglas Keyes was adjourned.
But the complainant showed up to court on Friday. The 27 year old said Keyes first abused him when he was 13 or 14 years old.
Keyes was a guidance councillor at the time and the man said he was taken to a cottage Keyes owns near Chester. He testified Keyes challenged him to a wrestling match and ended up putting his hands down inside his pants and fondled him. From there the man said the abuse escalated to masturbation and oral sex.
Most of it allegedly happened at Keyes home in Gypsum Mines, just outside of Windsor, and another during a night at a Halifax hotel.
The complainant said he only went to the police last year because he is a father himself now and he told the court "It would weigh on me, if something like this would ever happen to my kids."
Defence lawyer Joel Pink attempted to undermine the alleged victim's credibility by pointing to his criminal history and the fact he asked for, and received, money from Keyes on several occasions.
Pink also introduced evidence from two young men who lived with Keyes at different times and said they never saw him do anything like what he's accused of.
Keyes is facing 10 charges including sexual assault, sexual touching and breach of trust. He is also charged with using a computer system with intent to commit an offence and producing a false document.
The trial will resume Jan. 4 when Keyes is expected to testify in his own defence.