Canada’s largest independent newspaper, The Chronicle Herald, has officially announced it has started charging for access to online content.
Readers will be allowed to view 10 stories free every month as well as other "custom content", but will be required to pay for an online subscription to view more than the 10-story monthly limit.
"Readers have a choice. Some readers prefer the newspaper and others prefer the online experience and accessibility while on the go. Whether readers want the newspaper, or prefer to read on their computers or on their mobile devices and tablets, we’re asking consumers to pay for our product," said the paper’s chairperson and publisher Sarah Dennis in a statement on the paper’s website.
Dennis said current subscribers will not be affected by the changes.
CBC News first learned of The Chronicle Herald’s decision to start charging for online content last month.
Ian Thompson, the paper's associate publisher, wrote in July they're making the change to "ensure the Chronicle Herald thrives in a difficult newspaper environment."
In October, the president of the Herald said they were considering the paywall. Mark Lever said they were watching the Globe and Mail closely as it made the transition.
Four months ago, the Herald cut its Sunday edition, switching to a weekend paper instead.
According the The Chronicle Herald’s website, unlimited website and mobile access for up to two accounts start at $3 per week.