Titanic replica could dock in Halifax
Plans underway to construct the $200-million ship
CBC News
Posted: Mar 1, 2013 1:43 PM AT
Last Updated: Mar 1, 2013 4:24 PM AT
Financier Clive Palmer says thousands of people have come forward as eager customers for the maiden voyage of Titanic II. (Associated Press)Blue Star Line, the group behind building a full-scale replica of the ill-fated Titanic, hosted a gala breakfast in Halifax on Friday to pitch its vision of the new transatlantic cruise.
The 100 guests on hand for the Titanic II five-course breakfast dined on smoked salmon tartar, identical to the original Titanic menu.
“Everyone is so excited,” said James McDonald, global marketing director of the Titanic II project.
“We were trending globally on Twitter the other night and everyone is just wanting to be involved with the project. Every day we’re receiving more and more inquiries.”
The maiden voyage is tentatively slated for February 2016, and will take passengers from Southampton to New York City, just as the original Titanic had tried to do before hitting an iceberg and sinking in the North Atlantic. Halifax will likely be on the cruise list for Titanic II after its maiden voyage.
More than 100 of the Titanic's victims are buried in Halifax.
Lynn Ledwidge, with Destination Halifax, welcomes the plan.
“I think it would be a phenomenal for the Titanic II to call in Halifax. We have such a genuine connection to the Titanic," she said.
But marketing this project must be done carefully says John Boileau, author of a book on the Titanic.
“We know there is the aura surrounding Titanic, but it was a very great tragedy. You’ve got to be very careful about the tagline that they choose about recreating this experience.”
The project's main cheerleader Australian financier Clive Palmer wasn't at the breakfast. His travel plans were disrupted and he flew to London instead to pitch the concept.
He captured the world's attention earlier this week with his plans to construct the $200-million ship at a Chinese shipyard.
Palmer said tens of thousands of people have come forward as eager customers, some willing to pay as much as $1 million for a ticket on the first trip.
The original ship sank in the Atlantic Ocean in 1912.
with files from The Canadian PressShare Tools
Latest Nova Scotia News Headlines
- Farmed salmon die at Eastern Shore aquaculture plant
- The fish deaths have sparked concerns among residents who live in the area, but company manager Robert Taylor said the fish died because of the stormy weather over the past few weeks. more »
- Via cuts heading off the rails: transit group
- A group that promotes public transportation in the Atlantic provinces is warning that looming rail cuts could make an already inconvenient schedule even worse. more »
- Liberals call for labour mobility in Atlantic Canada
- Nova Scotia's Liberal leader is calling for more co-operation among the four Atlantic provinces. more »
- Fisherman fights to keep Moque Head fog horn
- A Fisherman from Main-a-Dieu, N.S., is challenging a plan by the Coast Guard to shut down a fog horn on Moque Head. more »
Top News Headlines
- Baby born HIV-positive apparently cured, say scientists
- A baby born with HIV appears to have been cured, scientists announced Sunday, describing the case of a child from Mississippi who's now 2 ½ and has been off medication for about a year with no signs of infection. more »
- Egypt's politician skewer, testing the limits of post-revolution satire
- Meet Egypt's Jon Stewart, a former heart surgeon turned late-night TV host whose biting satire has not endeared him to the country's political class. But, as Nahlah Ayed reports, comedian Bassem Youssef may be the revolution's real star. more »
- Clark says B.C. Liberal cabinet is 'united'
- Embattled B.C. Premier Christy Clark said her cabinet was "united" after emerging from a three-hour emergency cabinet meeting in Vancouver Sunday night. more »
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »
- Family shocked dog was shot and killed by hunter
- Farmed salmon die at Eastern Shore aquaculture plant
- Fire destroys historic church in Pugwash
- 2 busted in Amherst drug trafficking investigation
- Mother says mix of cocaine, Dilaudid killed son
- Police finish searching site for missing woman's remains
- Liberals call for labour mobility in Atlantic Canada
- 10 people turn 100 or more at Cape Breton nursing home
- Fisherman fights to keep Moque Head fog horn

