Kings County man acquitted in Valley drug death
Kyle David Fredericks not guilty of criminal negligence causing death
CBC News
Posted: Feb 21, 2013 1:01 PM AT
Last Updated: Feb 21, 2013 8:05 PM AT
Related
Related Stories
External Links
(Note:CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external links.)
Kyle David Fredericks has been acquitted of criminal negligence causing death in Joshua Graves' death. (CBC)A Nova Scotia provincial court judge has acquitted a Kings County man of criminal negligence causing death and trafficking in a controlled substance in the drug overdose death of another young man two years ago.
Kyle David Fredericks, of Kentville, had been accused of giving Joshua Graves the Dilaudid that — combined with alcohol — led to the 21-year-old's death.
Graves died on March 19, 2011 after taking a lethal mix of alcohol and Dilaudid at a house party in the Annapolis Valley the night before.
Family and friends of Fredericks smiled and wiped their eyes as Judge Allan Tufts acquitted Fredericks on Thursday in Kentville provincial court.
Tufts called Graves' death a "sad and senseless tragedy" but said there was not enough evidence to warrant a criminal conviction.
He said he believes Fredericks gave Graves a pill, but the Crown had not proven beyond a reasonable doubt that it was that particular pill that had contributed to Graves' death.
The judge also said there was no evidence Graves did or didn't take Dilaudid from any other sources before or after that time.
Mike Graves, Joshua Graves' father, sat quietly in court as the verdict was read. He later told CBC News he was disappointed in the outcome, but commended the court and the RCMP for pursuing his son's case.
"It's disappointing but it's not all for not. It's raised the awareness, our community has a higher awareness of the problem we have. So we just need our officials and out legal system to step up to the plate and try to better the situation," said Graves.
"Hopefully this opens a lot of people's eyes and opens the doors for our government to find the courage to improve our drug monitoring program, to counsel our doctors on prescribing this type of drug."
Dave Fredericks, Kyle Frederick's father, said he's pleased by the verdict and said he never felt there was enough evidence to charge his son.
"I just don't feel that the charges were warranted. I don't think they were there, there was just no proof of it," he said.
When asked whether there was anything he wanted to say about the acquittal, Kyle Fredericks responded, "No, I'm good."
In July, Fredericks escaped custody just minutes after being arrested for breaching his bail conditions. He was found nearly a week later in a Berwick apartment. Fredericks was later released from custody under conditions.
In September, he escaped custody a second time but was caught a short time later.
Fredericks entered a guilty plea to the charge of escaping lawful custody. He was sentenced to time served and the court withdrew the breach of conditions charge.
Share Tools
Latest Nova Scotia News Headlines
- Farmed salmon die at Eastern Shore aquaculture plant
- The fish deaths have sparked concerns among residents who live in the area, but company manager Robert Taylor said the fish died because of the stormy weather over the past few weeks. more »
- Via cuts heading off the rails: transit group
- A group that promotes public transportation in the Atlantic provinces is warning that looming rail cuts could make an already inconvenient schedule even worse. more »
- Liberals call for labour mobility in Atlantic Canada
- Nova Scotia's Liberal leader is calling for more co-operation among the four Atlantic provinces. more »
- Fisherman fights to keep Moque Head fog horn
- A Fisherman from Main-a-Dieu, N.S., is challenging a plan by the Coast Guard to shut down a fog horn on Moque Head. more »
Top News Headlines
- Surrey Liberals call for B.C. Premier's resignation
- Over one hundred Liberal party members called for the resignation of B.C. Premier Christy Clark at a breakfast meeting in Surrey Sunday morning. more »
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »
- Pakistan bomb outside mosque kills 37
- Police say a car bomb has killed at least 37 people and wounded another 141 in a neighborhood dominated by Shia Muslims in the southern Pakistan city of Karachi. more »
- Liberal MPs Murray and Garneau challenge frontrunner Trudeau
- Liberal leadership hopefuls made a last-ditch effort to shore up support for their campaigns before tonight's midnight deadline in the fourth of five federal Liberal leadership debates in Halifax on Sunday. more »
- Family shocked dog was shot and killed by hunter
- Farmed salmon die at Eastern Shore aquaculture plant
- Fire destroys historic church in Pugwash
- 2 busted in Amherst drug trafficking investigation
- Police finish searching site for missing woman's remains
- Mother says mix of cocaine, Dilaudid killed son
- 10 people turn 100 or more at Cape Breton nursing home
- N.S. warden says he miscalculated Ashley Smith
- Titanic replica could dock in Halifax

