9 temporarily homeless after Sydney apartment fire
Fire broke out early Tuesday morning
Posted: Feb 12, 2013 10:24 AM AT
Last Updated: Feb 12, 2013 12:20 PM AT
Two people were taken to hospital after a fire at a small apartment building in Sydney early Tuesday morning.
The fire broke out at 78 Charlotte St., a two-storey structure, at around 2 a.m.
There were nine tenants in the building and two of them were treated in hospital for minor burns and smoke inhalation.
Most of the damage was done to one apartment unit but there is some smoke and water damage throughout the building.
The Red Cross has arranged for the tenants to stay in a motel.
There's no word on what caused the fire.
Latest Nova Scotia News Headlines
- Co-workers fundraise for crash victim's family
- Co-workers of a man who died in a high-speed crash last week in Halifax's Bayers Lake Industrial Park are trying to raise money to help the man's widow treat the couple's sick child. more »
- Tri-County School Board cuts 17 teaching positions
- More than 23 jobs, including 17 teaching positions, have been cut in order to balance the Tri-County School Board's budget for next year. more »
- May's Sable Island bill block sparks bi-party grumbling
- An opposition-backed bid by the government to set up a national park on Sable Island hits an Elizabeth May-shaped hurdle on the last lap of the road to Royal Assent. more »
- ECBC boss says no wrongdoing in alleged patronage hirings
- The head of Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation says he has done nothing wrong after complaints were raised that he was hiring along Conservative partisan lines. more »
Top News Headlines
- 2 men jailed in Dominican wedding fight return to Canada
- Senators call for 'zero tolerance' on harassment in RCMP
- Are e-cigarettes safe to puff?
- Most groups don't want return of Trudeau speaking fees
- Digby man gets $248K after police assault
- Man charged with 2nd-degree murder in Reita Jordan case
- Premier calls for scandal-plagued MLA to step down
- ECBC boss investigated for 'gross mismanagement'
- Dartmouth hospital monitors C. difficile outbreak
- Zinck wants to stay MLA despite guilty pleas
- Missing Colchester County girl, 15, found
- Police investigate rash of suburb break and enters
- Halifax pair realizes bacon restaurant dream