Mayor accrued $117K as estate executor
Posted: Oct 3, 2012 6:59 PM AT
Last Updated: Oct 3, 2012 9:26 PM AT
The mayor of Halifax accumulated nearly $117,000 in expenses as former executor of the estate of Mary Thibeault, a family friend who died in 2004. Peter Kelly filed the inventory for the estate on Wednesday.
He was recently removed as executor of the estate at the request of six of the beneficiaries.
According to Kelly's final accounting Thibeault's estate was worth nearly $700,000, but the 15 beneficiaries could receive less than that.
Kelly said the estate encouraged his spending as executor. Of the $117,000 about $4,000 worth was for accounting fees and over $30,000 in lawyers' bills.
There is also $4,000 in interest and late filing penalties owed to the Canada Revenue Agency.The mayor of Halifax accumulated $117,00 in expenses as former executor of the estate of Mary Thibeault. (CBC)
In his filing Kelly noted that he put $145,000 into the estate to reimburse funds that were removed but weren't mentioned in Kelly's original accounting.
The expenses are subject to an assessment by the province's probate court. The beneficiaries can also challenge the expenses they believe were unnecessary.
Beneficiaries had petitioned the province's probate court to have him removed. In the affidavit filed in June, they detailed their concerns about Kelly's accounting of the estate and his continued procrastination.
In the list of reasons why they want Kelly removed, they itemize numerous cheques to Kelly and his son, together worth about $180,000.
Kelly agreed to step down as executor of the estate last month.
Latest Nova Scotia News Headlines
- Cape Breton fishermen pray as lobster season begins
- Nova Scotia lobster fishermen and their families gathered on their boats in Main-a-Dieu on Sunday for the annual Blessing of the Fleet ceremony. more »
- N.S. tobacconist won’t appeal charter challenge ruling
- A tobacco store owner in Kentville will not appeal a court decision forcing him to hide its products. more »
- Man, 80, dies on fishing outing near Bridgewater
- An 80-year-old Nova Scotia man has died after he fell into the water on Wentzell's Lake near Bridgwater, say police. more »
- Man charged after throwing a bucket at an RCMP officer
- A 61-year-old man is facing charges of assaulting Halifax RCMP officers after an incident in the North Preston area Saturday night. more »
Top News Headlines
- Search continues for 2 missing New Brunswick fishermen
- A search effort has resumed for two missing fishermen off the coast of New Brunswick, after a distress call was issued from their boat early Saturday. more »
- Jeep driver apologizes after stunt kills Edmonton woman
- A man claiming to be the driver of a Jeep that struck and killed a spectator at a charity event in Edmonton says he is sorry for what happened. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Gunmen in Pakistan have killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »
- Virginia parade crash driver likely had medical problem
- Authorities believe the driver who plowed into dozens of hikers marching in a Virginia mountain town parade suffered from a medical condition and did not cause the crash intentionally, an emergency official said Sunday. more »
- Worker falls in ocean in Digby accident
- Blue Nose Youth Run draws thousands
- Roundup of Bluenose Marathon street closures
- Sydney `hackathon` challenges techies
- Sailor fighting cancer says AWOL charges dropped
- Luck changes for $3.2M lottery winners from Cape Breton
- UFO sightings in Canada in 2012 doubled previous record
- Rescue attempt over for New Brunswick fishermen
- Sailor with cancer charged for being AWOL over sick day