Province bans open fires
Posted: Jul 12, 2012 12:55 PM AT
Last Updated: Jul 12, 2012 2:15 PM AT
Nova Scotia is banning on open fires across the province. That's because with the sunny, hot weather the risk of fire is high or extreme from one end of the province to the other.
"The biggest threat to the forests right now is any kind of ignition source at all," said Jim Rudderham, supervisor of Wildfire Management for the Natural Resources Department.
"People start 99 per cent of our fires in this province, so people have to exercise extreme caution with anything that can possibly start a fire."
The ban means no one is allowed to start a fire within 300 metres of any wooded area with one exception.
"If you're in a camping ground like a provincial camping ground or some private campground that have approved pits or fireplaces, you can still burn there," said Rudderham. "But that's because mostly people are watching those fire quite closely and they're being patrolled by staff."
The ban is in place indefinitely. The last time there was a province-wide ban on fires was in 2008.
Latest Nova Scotia News Headlines
- Co-workers fundraise for crash victim's family
- Co-workers of a man who died in a high-speed crash last week in Halifax's Bayers Lake Industrial Park are trying to raise money to help the man's widow treat the couple's sick child. more »
- Tri-County School Board cuts 17 teaching positions
- More than 23 jobs, including 17 teaching positions, have been cut in order to balance the Tri-County School Board's budget for next year. more »
- May's Sable Island bill block sparks bi-party grumbling
- An opposition-backed bid by the government to set up a national park on Sable Island hits an Elizabeth May-shaped hurdle on the last lap of the road to Royal Assent. more »
- ECBC boss says no wrongdoing in alleged patronage hirings
- The head of Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation says he has done nothing wrong after complaints were raised that he was hiring along Conservative partisan lines. more »
Top News Headlines
- 2 men jailed in Dominican wedding fight return to Canada
- Two Canadian men who were detained in the Dominican Republic for nearly three weeks after a post-wedding fight broke out at a resort have returned to Toronto, the latest step in a drama that the wife of one of the men said was "like a scene from the movies." more »
- Senators call for 'zero tolerance' on harassment in RCMP
- The RCMP should amend its code of conduct to explicitly define and prohibit harassment, a Senate committee is recommending in a newly tabled report. more »
- Are e-cigarettes safe to puff?
- As electronic or e-cigarettes grow in popularity, some health advocates want them to be regulated. more »
- Most groups don't want return of Trudeau speaking fees
- Most of the 17 charitable and other organizations that have paid speaking fees to Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau during his time as an MP say they aren't interested in having their fees returned, despite Trudeau's offer on the weekend to reimburse any organization unhappy with his services. more »
- Digby man gets $248K after police assault
- Man charged with 2nd-degree murder in Reita Jordan case
- Premier calls for scandal-plagued MLA to step down
- ECBC boss investigated for 'gross mismanagement'
- Dartmouth hospital monitors C. difficile outbreak
- Zinck wants to stay MLA despite guilty pleas
- Missing Colchester County girl, 15, found
- Police investigate rash of suburb break and enters
- Halifax pair realizes bacon restaurant dream