Sydney SPCA overwhelmed with cats
Shelter has a waiting list of more than 150 people wanting to surrender their felines
Posted: Jul 7, 2012 6:58 PM AT
Last Updated: Jul 7, 2012 7:36 PM AT
The SPCA in Sydney, Cape Breton has so many cats there's a waiting list for people who want to give their animals to the organization.
The SPCA built more holding rooms for the felines, but those quickly filled up. They have more than 100 cats already that are available for adoption.
"We have a waiting list right now of over 150 people that are waiting to surrender their cats," said Lori MacMullin, the chair of the Cape Breton SPCA.
The shelter has a no-kill policy. MacMullin said they send about six cats a week to the Halifax SPCA, but now that shelter is also near capacity.
"We try not to turn any animal away, however we'd like people to try to understand and work with us in this situation," she said. "If they can hold the animal for a certain period of time until we have the space to take it, we do appreciate it."
The Sydney shelter does have some available space for dogs.
MacMullin said the situation would improve if pet owners would have their animals spayed or neutered.
Latest Nova Scotia News Headlines
- Atlantic hurricane season forecast to be busy
- The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is predicting is busier than average Atlantic hurricane season with up to 20 named storms, including as many as six major hurricanes. more »
- Halifax Mooseheads mania in Saskatoon
- The CBC's Michael Dick is in Saskatoon, where the Halifax Mooseheads have clinched a berth in Sunday night's Memorial Cup final. more »
- Man charged with drunk driving 2 days in a row
- A 62-year-old Lower Sackville man has been charged two days in a row with driving drunk, say RCMP. more »
- Cape Breton harness racing cancelled over virus fears
- Harness race cards at Northside Downs and Inverness Raceway in Cape Breton have been cancelled this weekend as a precaution against the spread of a potential virus. more »
Top News Headlines
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- 2 more arrests linked to hacking death of British soldier
- Neil Macdonald: Harper no Obama when it comes to dealing with scandals
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fires chief of staff
- Chained-teen's mom wants man who pleaded guilty 'to suffer'
- Grieving father warns of scam citing N.S. lottery winners
- Electrocution victim remembered by fire chief
- Allegation that students' mouths were taped shut probed by police
- Halifax Mooseheads clinch berth in Memorial Cup final
- Beer, wine should be sold in grocery stores: Tories
- Dog survives fall down deep sinkhole in Sydney Mines
- 'Hitman' scam targets Halifax cellphones
- Children's mouths allegedly taped shut at N.S. school