Sexual assault, kidnap charges in Wedgeport case
Posted: Mar 2, 2012 1:41 PM AT
Last Updated: Mar 2, 2012 8:57 PM AT
A Nova Scotia man has been charged with sexual assault and kidnapping after an alleged abduction, car crash and stabbing earlier this week in the New Minas area.
Two women from Wedgeport say they were kidnapped and sexually assaulted by a man who was wielding a weapon.
Shortly after they began their investigation on Wednesday, police received a 911 call from one of the missing women. They were located after a three-car collision in New Minas.
Sandra Pothier works with one of the women and said she was immediately worried about her.
The woman was late coming back from lunch and hadn't called. Pothier said she searched the woman's house, but she wasn't there.
Pothier also said her coworker had applied for a restraining order against Gordon Frank Nickerson, 35, less than two weeks ago.
Pothier said the women feared for their lives and managed to escape from the moving car.
"They went through hell. Scary hell. It got to the point that they had to do something or they knew weren't going to make it," Pothier said.
RCMP also arrested a man after a brief pursuit on foot. He's in hospital with stab wounds, although it's not clear yet how he was injured.
Nickerson has been charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, weapons charges, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and breach of recognizance.
He is scheduled to appear in court on March 5.
Latest Nova Scotia News Headlines
- Co-workers fundraise for crash victim's family
- Co-workers of a man who died in a high-speed crash last week in Halifax's Bayers Lake Industrial Park are trying to raise money to help the man's widow treat the couple's sick child. more »
- Tri-County School Board cuts 17 teaching positions
- More than 23 jobs, including 17 teaching positions, have been cut in order to balance the Tri-County School Board's budget for next year. more »
- May's Sable Island bill block sparks bi-party grumbling
- An opposition-backed bid by the government to set up a national park on Sable Island hits an Elizabeth May-shaped hurdle on the last lap of the road to Royal Assent. more »
- ECBC boss says no wrongdoing in alleged patronage hirings
- The head of Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation says he has done nothing wrong after complaints were raised that he was hiring along Conservative partisan lines. more »
Top News Headlines
- 2 men jailed in Dominican wedding fight return to Canada
- Senators call for 'zero tolerance' on harassment in RCMP
- Are e-cigarettes safe to puff?
- Most groups don't want return of Trudeau speaking fees
- Digby man gets $248K after police assault
- Man charged with 2nd-degree murder in Reita Jordan case
- Premier calls for scandal-plagued MLA to step down
- ECBC boss investigated for 'gross mismanagement'
- Dartmouth hospital monitors C. difficile outbreak
- Zinck wants to stay MLA despite guilty pleas
- Missing Colchester County girl, 15, found
- Police investigate rash of suburb break and enters
- Halifax pair realizes bacon restaurant dream